Friday, June 12, 2009

Ritual For A Dream Pt. 3 (The Salve)

How To Make A Healing Salve

I found a recipe in the June issue of Delicious Living, cut it out, and then lost it. I decided to think of this loss as an opportunity to be more intuitive with the process. I tried to remember as much as I could and then improvised.

I gathered equal amounts of comfrey, calendula, and St. John's Wort, put them in a pot, and covered them with olive oil. I heated this mixture on the lowest heat possible for three hours. Then I strained out the herbs, put the oil back in the pot, and added cocoa butter--about three times more than the amount of olive oil--and stirred until it melted. I added some essential oils, just a couple drops, and poured the liquid into glass jars leaving them to cool over night. When I woke up in the morning, they had hardened into a salve. Ah, sweet alchemy. 

The cocoa butter makes it smell a little like chocolate, which seems appropriately healing. This process also makes me think of other simple things you could make in honor of a dream figure. You could make a meal or knit a scarf--so many possibilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment