Friday, June 4, 2010

Back to Nowhere

I welcome the breaking of my heart
Same as I welcomed its melting.

I feel you gone,
Suddenly,
Same as the way you came--
Out of nowhere.
And now, are you going back there?

I search my empty hands
and try to understand
that this is the Way.

Life gives and takes and lives
and breaks, like waves.
When something goes out to sea,
you never know if it will come back.
And if it does, how.

Is there a trick to receiving loss?
A posture, a breath, a mantra?
Or is it just a matter of lying down
on the green grass
or the wet sand
or any piece of earth that will hold me
and allowing it to happen?

2 comments:

  1. Mick:

    Your poem is sublimely sad....

    You have such a powerful relationship to feeling life....

    Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Doug. I'm missing you, too, these days. Will come see you at Antioch soon.

    ReplyDelete