Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fashion Shadow

Are there items of clothing you would NEVER wear, never, not in a million years? For me, one such item is the pastel-parachute-track-suit-with-fanny-pack look favored by so many of our elderly citizens here in the United States. I'd take a polyester leisure suit over that any day of the week. The strength of my feelings in this matter tell me in no uncertain terms that herein lies my Fashion Shadow.

I have heard tell that Carl Jung used to have shadow parties in which he invited the guests to behave not as their usual persona selves, but instead as their shadow selves. I have never been able to verify this, but I think it's a fantastic (in the original meaning of that word) idea. I also think it could result in broken furniture, heartache, and possibly a lawsuit or two. As I'm unwilling to face that kind of external fallout, I've let go of the idea of a shadow party for my own friends, but a Fashion Shadow Party could really rock. 

As you're going about your business, and your pleasure, this week, look around and see if you can locate your Fashion Shadow. Most people have more than one fashion shadow, and if you are a true Fashionista, almost everyone is your fashion shadow, and you may have to move to Manhattan, if you don't live there already. If you want to work on it, though, you should go get a Hawaiian shirt, some non-designer label beige pants, ill-fitting, maybe from K Mart, and one of those pith helmets that old men wear when they go on vacation, as if they think they're in the jungle, even though they're just on the Venice boardwalk. And work with it. And write in and tell me what came up for you as you owned that look.

I know this is a departure into the shallow, but I need it. I think this may be one of the most important aspects of shadow work--knowing when you need to come up for some air. After this, it's back to Domestic Violence and surgery, so enjoy it while you can!

4 comments:

  1. Andrea Peterman writes:

    Ah, Mick, you kill me. My entire postpartum wardrobe is one big stinkin' fashion shadow. I'm living it, I'm owning it, and I'm here to tell you that it has brought me nothing but irreverence and misery. I've also been sporting the ever-popular "hairstyle shadow" ponytail, with similar results. Please send money for clothes, or at least a haircut.

    xo
    AP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am going to jump on the maternity fashion shadow wagon. I have never been more disappointed in my wardrobe as these last 9 months. Get this baby outta me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this says it all:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAO4EVMlpwM

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had to go to a party in either a pastel nylon tracksuit or 4 inch stilettos, a mini skirt and loads of make-up, I would feel more comfortable in the track suit. I prefer to blend in rather than stand out. My shadow would be a neon sign saying look over here.

    ReplyDelete